Party Wall

The Party Wall etc Act 1996 covers the whole of England and Wales. It provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving the dispute.

I am a Member of The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors. The Faculty is an educational, non-profit making body concerning party wall matters.

I can provide free initial advice and also be your statutory appointed surveyor as required under the Act. Please refer to the following link for additional information:

The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors


I prepare residential market valuations that provide a professional opinion of value for a property with respect to the prevailing market at the date of valuation.

I also undertake domestic and commercial reinstatement valuations for insurance purposes. A reinstatement valuation is an estimation of the cost of rebuilding a property following total destruction. An accurate assessment will eliminate the risks associated with under insurance and will avoid payment of excessive premiums for over insurance.

All of my valuations are carried out in accordance with the RICS Appraisal and Valuation Standards (often referred to as the Red Book) published by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.

Expert Witness

Where a dispute arises, it is best that it is resolved quickly and at a cost that is proportionate to the dispute and sums involved.

I offer an initial advisory report service. The report will enable you to decide the best way to proceed further, which can lead to a quicker resolution rather than embarking on expensive and lengthy court action at the outset.

If matters are not resolved, I can respond quickly to instructions and provide Part 35 CPR Compliant reports in a timely manner. Within the report, I will provide a full, honest and non-partisan opinion as required by The Civil Procedures Rules and the accompanying Practice Direction/Protocol etc.

Specialist fields covered include defects diagnosis, such as dampness and defective cavity wall insulation, as well as surveys on the condition of properties. I can also provide reports on poor workmanship.

I am a member of the Expert Witness Institute and subject to their Code of Professional Conduct and Practice.

Back to top